Modification Orders

DC Firms Works to Modify Orders and Agreements

Skilled family lawyer assists clients in the Washington, D.C. area seeking changes in child support, custody or alimony

Every family's situation changes over time, and those changes may make it necessary to take legal action to ensure that existing court orders evolve to meet new family requirements. What was suitable to the parties at the time of the divorce or separation may no longer work as jobs change, children age and parents remarry. At The Law Offices of Michael A. Troy PLLC, we help families in the Washington, D.C. area and throughout District of Columbia obtain appropriate modifications to child support, child custody, visitation, time-sharing and alimony orders. Modifications of these orders often require proof that there has been a substantial change in circumstances. Our attorney has the skill and determination to present that evidence to the court. We also address relocation issues when parents move into or out of DC.

Responsive counselor advocates for modifications when circumstances warrant them

In family law cases, an existing court order can only be modified when there is a significant change in a parent's or child's situation. These changes may include a greater financial need or increase in income due to a job change or loss, a medical emergency involving the child, and a change in your child’s environment or time-sharing situation. We advocate for your rights in court to help you get the child support and child custody modifications you and your children need, and guide you through the often difficult procedures to get results. We also help families with domestication of foreign or out-of-state judgments, assisting them in obtaining court orders that ask DC to treat an order from another state as its own. Domestications for matters like child support and visitation can be especially useful when families with children move into or out of the state.

Family lawyer provides clients with individualized legal assistance

When you bring your modification case to our firm, we review your goals with you. Then we examine the existing agreements between you and your ex-spouse or child's parent. Together we set realistic, achievable objectives to bring before the judge. Whether you are seeking an adjustment in your spousal or child support, are looking to adjust your visitation schedule, or are attempting to become the primary custodian of your children, we can help. We also represent clients seeking to retain existing orders when requested modifications are not in their best interests or those of their children.

Contact an experienced DC family law firm for help with a modification

At The Law Offices of Michael A. Troy PLLC, our attorney understands that your family's needs change over time, and we are committed to helping you achieve a custody or support modification that addresses your changed circumstances. Call us at 202-306-2422 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation at our Washington, D.C. office.

Contact the Firm


The Law Offices of Michael A. Troy PLLC is located in Washington, DC and serves clients in and around Washington, Montgomery County & Prince Georges County, Maryland.

Attorney Advertising. This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. [ Site Map ]